When Emmeline mentions baking, my immediate reaction is GOD, NO, THE MESS!
But yesterday, I kind of just went along with it. I found a recipe and modified it a little because as usual, we didn’t have all the exact ingredients BUT my goodness, they are delish.
So next time your toddler considers it a baking kind of day, I can highly recommend these as:
a) they don’t take long
b) the mess is minimal
c) there’s no precision in cooking forming so you don’t have that moment of stress, pouring cake mixture into the cases and getting it literally, everywhere!
So here is the recipe as followed from The Veg Life
1 cup of oats
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt (I forgot this bit!)
1/2 cup vegan margarine (softened)
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar (I just used more of the above!)
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup of oats
3/4 cup of raisins.
This is what the recipe called for but I used slightly less sugar and they were still amazing.
- Mix the softened margarine and sugar together. Beat til the sugar dissolves.
- Add flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, applesauce and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Add oats and raisins. Mix!
- Use two spoons to manoeuvre the mixture into cookie blobs on the baking sheet. Flatten slightly with the base of a glass.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes (or a little more if you made monster sized ones like we did!)
Let me know if you try them 🙂